Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Art: Musings!

I wanted to write a few things about the way art changes and evolves, and the adaptability of the artist!

Each person has the capacity to produce art, in whatever form they find easiest, be it paint, pencil, paper, beads and glass or even in words.  The only thing that holds some people back is the inability to be flexible, to push boundaries, to do things in the way they choose - just because 'people' say it should be done a certain way doesn't mean that is the only way!

Working on my battle piece today, I was thinking about this very thing when I realised I didn't quite like part of the design.  This was not my favourite realisation, because I had used this feature repetitively as a support for the more delicate parts.  I persevered.  I still didn't like it.

What I didn't do, at any stage, was panic.  I knew that if it didn't look right, it wasn't staying, and that some inventive thinking might be required to help my piece look the way I feel it should. I am now faced with a large dose of 'thinking outside the box' in order to achieve something which I am sure people have done before, but have no idea how!  My finished piece will require a hidden skeleton if you will, a support structure to enable it to hold the shape it should.  I have already formulated a cunning plan - and was brave enough to grab the scissors and cut away all the parts of my design which weren't working for me.

JUST BECAUSE YOU STARTED WITH A PLAN AND A SKETCH, DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT IS WRITTEN IN STONE!

I feel perfectly happy now, looking at my trimmed down components, thinking that yes, it's going to work out just fine! 
Until next time...
Dee
x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment