Sunday, February 17, 2013

Love and Light...a Tribute to Tanya

I didn't have the fortune of knowing Tanya Boden for long.  For the brief time I did know her, I discovered a woman with a generous heart, a beautiful soul and a wise way; Tanya always knew exactly the right thing to say to make you feel like you were her best friend ever, and how to make you realise that there was more to life than day to day grind.  Tanya taught me, never more so than when she was diagnosed with the terminal condition which was to bring her all too short life to an end, that there is always a rainbow on every horizon, and that one should always look to the stars.

The piece I made in memory of Tanya involves two things that mean a lot to me, and both were gifts from her.  I love garnets.  Love them.  They remind me of my granddad, who also died too early.  Tanya sent me some beautiful garnets, along with some fine silver wire (and a plethora of other beautiful sparkly things)and I knew I wanted to use them to make myself something special to remember her by.

I used the fine silver wire not only to wrap the glass focal bead, which I made myself, but if you look closely at the photos, you can see inside the glass that I used the wire to create a little galaxy of those stars Tanya taught me to aim for.  I wrapped two of the garnet briolettes and added them, they symbolize for me happy tears, those which I shed when I remember those I love still, who have found their place among the stars.  The piece is called 'Nebula' and I hung it from some brilliant turquoise sari silk - I was looking for the right thing to wear it on, and this almost jumped into my hand.  I think Tanya was guiding me to the right thing, and I think it looks lovely...


 
Fly well Tanya...xxx
 

6 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Dee. It's a special piece, just like Tanya. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for sharing your amazing bead with us. It's really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It *is* lovely, as are your words. She would be so touched and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your glasswork is beautiful . I think we may have used the same brioletes which lets me know that mine may be garnet too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely creation and great design. Your hard work is really appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Australian Handmade Jewellery

    ReplyDelete